Saturday, November 25, 2006

Village Pizza - Los Angeles

Being from NYC, I know that most will say I am overly critical of pizza, but I still feel compelled to write my view of pizza in LA, starting with the local favorite. I have been to Village Pizza on Larchmont a few times, and I have been deeply disappointed each time. I am a realist, so I do not expect magic, but do expect that things that can be controlled are done right. For example, the pizza is always undercooked resulting in a crust being flimsy and doughy. To make matters worse, their is way too much cheese weighing down crust and overwhelming all other ingredients. I understand that the dough is compsomised because of the CA water, and the sauce is not great because it is a bad reciepe, but you can still make a decent pie if you at least take care in things you can control such as the above.

Another pizza joint that gets good reviews is Albano's Brooklyn Pizza. I have been to Albano's a bunch of times and have had a pretty good experience. The flavor is pretty good and the pies are usually cooked well. The biggest problem with Albano's is their inconsistency. I am not sure the reason, but I would most likely say absentee management.

No comments: